Redsn0w 0.9.7 Beta 2 Download Released By iPhone Dev Team Enabling iOS 4.2.1 Untethered Jailbreak
iPhone Dev Team is once again in the news for posting a much-awaited update to their redsn0w iOS jail-breaking utility, the latest redsn0w 0.9.7 Beta 2 release is fulfilling the promised untethered jailbreak for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch running iOS 4.2.1.
- This is a TESTING BETA RELEASE, Do not use if you are not sure what you are doing.
- Strictly a NO if you rely on ultrasn0w carrier-unlock.
- This is currently a MAC Only release.
- If you have an iPhone 3G/old-bootrom ipt2g/iPhone 3GS, you already have an untethered jailbreak and don't need this - just use the latest public final version of redsn0w.
- Right now, using this new redsn0w untethered jailbreak “backup plan” requires that you have the 4.2b3 IPSW on your Mac, and that Cydia has your 4.2b3 SHSH hashes. Please don’t pirate that 4.2b3 IPSW! (We’re also working on a way that this technique might apply to all those with 4.1 IPSWs, but that’s not the first goal right now.)
We’re about to release the first beta using this new “backup method”, which redsn0w calls “Jailbreak Monte”. Here are some important points:
# This is a beta tester program. It’s not a general release! Things can go very wrong, so please don’t even consider testing if you have pictures or other media on your device that you haven’t backed up!
# For the same reason, please don’t participate if you rely on the ultrasn0w carrier unlock. Wait for the final version!
# Until we fix some sandbox issues with bluetooth, the bluetooth functionality is disabled.
# This very first beta1 is limited to iPhone4, iPad, and iPod touch 4G.
# Cydia must have your 4.2b3 SHSH blobs saved on file. (As we approach a general release, we’ll provide a way to let you use locally saved hashes too).
# You must already have the usbmuxd software installed and running on your Mac (this requirement will eventually go away too). The correct invocation of the relay is just as that page says: “./tcprelay.py -t 22:2222”. If the relay isn’t installed or running correctly by the time the redsn0w ramdisk has started, you’ll need to restore to stock FW again to try it again. Please test it beforehand to save yourself some time!
KNOWN BETA1 BUGS:
# Task switcher causes Springboard crash (temporary workaround is to use SBSettings process list)
# iPod player only works on ipt4g right now
# Bluetooth currently disabled due to sandbox problem
The second beta is now available (testers ONLY please!). This version should fix all the native app crashes (including Task switcher). That’s the only change in from beta1….Bluetooth is still disabled. If you had trouble using the usbmuxd in beta1, please wait until we incorporate that into redsn0w itself (i.e. don’t bother trying this beta2, just wait for the integration).
redsn0w 0.9.7b2 (MAC OS X). (Select “Jailbreak Monte” to try out the untether).