Fixing Windows 7 Lock-up While Using Windows Photo Viewer
Since past few days my Windows 7 PC started freezing while using "Windows Photo Viewer" locking up the entire system, I was able to move my mouse and the audio-player continued playing music but Ctrl-Alt-Delete, launch of any application, or shutdown/restart the computer did not worked. The system just froze and the only solution was to do a restart/shutdown using physical power buttons, thankfully we can get rid of this bug using two methods as demonstrated ahead.
This particular problem is because of a known incompatibility bug of Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 with Microsoft COM Surrogate (dllhost.exe) which is used by "Windows Photo Viewer" resulting in a locked-down system. The first solution to the problem is to use another photo-viewer like Microsoft Office Image Viewer, Irfan View or Picasa and you absolutely love "Windows Photo Viewer" and can't do without it all you need to do is to add Microsoft COM Surrogate (dllhost.exe) to KIS 2011 exclusion list as shown below.
- Open Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 and click Settings.
- Now, click on "Application Control" tab and than "Applications.." button.
- Expand "Microsoft" from the list.
- Scroll down until you see COM Surroagte, double-click it to open it's properties window.
- Open the "Exclusions" Tab and check all boxes to disable monitoring.
This exclusion will prevent the crashes until Kaspersky fixes this incompatibility.