Apple iOS Firmware Update 4.2.1 is live now available for public downloading, the new build fixes several security issues and comes bundled with new added features and improvements.
A complete list of new changes and additions is as follows.
- Multitasking on iPad - iOS 4.2 brings multitasking from iPhone and iPod touch to iPad. So you can be more productive as you work, have more fun as you play, or do a little of both. Everything happens smoothly and efficiently — without slowing down the performance of the foreground app or draining the battery unnecessarily.
- Folders on iPad - Now your iPad has more room for more apps. Move apps into folders with drag-and-drop simplicity to declutter your Home screens and keep your apps organized for fast access to your favorites.
- AirPrint - AirPrint makes it simple to print email, photos, web pages, and documents right from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. A few taps is all it takes to go from viewing it onscreen to holding a printed copy. There’s no software to download, no drivers to install, and no cables to connect.
- AirPlay - AirPlay lets you stream digital media wirelessly from your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch to your Apple TV and AirPlay-enabled speakers. So you can watch movies and photos on your widescreen TV and play music through the best speakers in the house.
- Find My iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Find My iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch — the MobileMe feature that helps you locate your missing device and protect its data — is now free on any iPhone 4, iPad, or fourth-generation iPod touch running iOS 4.2.3 Once you set it up, you can find your lost device on a map, display a message on its screen, remotely set a passcode lock, and initiate a remote wipe to delete your data. And if you eventually find your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can restore everything from your last backup.
- iTunes TV show rentals
- Even better Mail - See messages from all your accounts in a unified inbox, organize messages by threads, and open attachments in third-party apps.
- Find text on web pages - In Safari, you can do a quick text search to find and highlight specific words and phrases on even the longest web pages.
- Notes with fonts - Customize your notes using different fonts — Marker Felt, Helvetica, and Chalkboard.
- Keyboard and dictionary enhancements - iOS 4.2 includes support for over 50 languages and dialects, with more than 30 new international keyboards and dictionaries for iPad.
- Enhanced enterprise support - Businesses can take advantage of stronger security features, new device management capabilities, and improved enterprise integration.
- Messaging with text tones - Know who’s texting without looking at your screen. Choose from 17 new alerts and assign custom tones for people in your contact list. (iPhone only)
- Multiple vulnerabilities were fixed in WebKit, CoreGraphics, Configuration Profiles, FreeType PDF rendering, iAd content display and email app components of iOS.
- A complete list of all the security fixes is available here - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4456