As anticipated few months ago iPhone worm's and viruses have now started to appear in wild, Mac security software provider Intego Security has unveiled a new hacker-tool dubbed iPhone/Privacy.A which utilizes the default SSH password vulnerability in jailbroken iPhone's to gain access to iPhone's data enabling hackers to steal users email, contacts, SMS's, calendars, photos, music files, videos and virtually anything on users device.
Written in Python the iPhone hacking utility allows hackers access to victim devices from computer's running Windows, OSX/Unix and Linux allowing them to do anything with stolen data, to prevent yourself from this and similar threat's all you need to is to change the default SSH password on jailbroken iPhone's and iPod's following the simple how-to guide provided next.
How to change default SSH password on jailbroken iPhone :
- If you don't have MobileTerminal app installed launch Cydia and search-install it.
- Once installed launch MobileTerminal and key-in su command followed by Enter (return key).
- You will be asked for password enter alpine (common default password which we intend to change) followed by return key.
- Now key-in passwd command to change the password followed by return key.
- You will now be prompted to enter and confirm the new password, enter the new password of your choice.
- This is it, you have now successfully changed your default SSH password safeguarding your device from several potential security threats.