If you are one of the unlucky few who rely on an carrier-unlock for iPhone 3G and accidentally updated to iOS 4.1 upgrading your baseband (modem) to v 05.14.02 which is not unlockable, here is a method to let you upgrade your baseband to one of iPad 06.15.00 which is fortunately still vulnerable and will allow us to unlock using ultrasn0w.
In this comprehensive step-by-step illustrated guide we will walk-trough the complete process of jail-breaking and unlocking an iPhone 3G running iOS 4.1 having modem version 05.14.02.
Before we proceed here is the warning issues by iPhone Dev Team regarding this particular iPad baseband hack :
* There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and there’s no hiding the baseband version from Apple. You’ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
* If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you won’t be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldn’t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
* Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you won’t ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail). You’ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if you’re unlocker you should already be doing that).
Unlockers have been reporting mixed results about GPS functionality at 06.15.00. Until we can track down what differentiates those who retain GPS vs. those who lose it, be conservative and assume you’ll lose GPS at 06.15.00. As we work on finding the cause (and possibly a fix), please report your personal findings in our comments section. (Update: early indications are that while 06.15.00 is capable of GPS, it will require some further hacks. But please still be conservative and assume you will lose GPS at 06.15, in case the hacks don’t work).
Certainly don’t update to 06.15 if you don’t need to! Only do this if you need the unlock and you’re stuck on 05.14 or 05.15, and you’re willing to assume the above risks.
We will require these two downloads to get things completed :
- Connect your iPhone 3G to computer and launch redsn0w.exe, click the Browse button pointing it to iPhone1,2_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw file.
- Click Next and let redsn0w.exe complete the extraction process.
- Now you will be shown a screen as below, pay attention to this step carefully - you need to select "Install Cydia" and "Install iPad Baseband" check-boxes agreeing to the warning.
- You will now be prompted to switch-off your device and enter in DFU mode, pay attention to onscreen instructions and proceed.
- redsn0w will fetch the iPad baseband files and proceed with flashing, make sure you do not disconnect the cable/device.
- The rest of jailbreaking process take place on your device, as shown below - just sit-back and let it complete (do not unplug your cable to be on the safe side).
- Once the above process is completed your phone will reboot and should be jailbroken with Cydia installed on it. You can check the baseband/modem (Settings-> General -> About) and it should now be 06.15.00.
- Since we have now successfully flashed unlockable iPad Baseband 06.15.00 to our iPhone 3G we can now unlock using ultrasn0w as demoed next.
- Start Cydia on your device with a working internet connection and let it update everything. Once done restart Cydia and goto Manage tab, now tap on Sources button.
- Tap repo666.ultrasn0w.com.
- Tap ultrasn0w and complete the install.
- Your iPhone 3G should now be unlocked after an reboot.