Submitted by Deepesh Agarwal on Tue, 04/28/2015 - 06:24
Telecom and VOIP operators around the world have started offering free or discounted phone calls to Nepal to help people get in touch with loved ones after the devastating earthquake that struck on Saturday.
- Skype : Has made all calls in and out of Nepal absolutely free including all landlines and mobile phones, no Skype credit is required to make these calls.
- Google Voice: Has decided to reduce calling rates to Nepal to one cent per minute, The company also explained their decision why it refrained from making calls totally free as "to prevent spammers from abusing our systems and possibly adding more load to the already stretched Nepalese telephone network."
- All major Indian telecom operators like Airtel, BSNL, Idea etc. are offering free or cheap calling to Nepal for next few days.
- US telecom operators AT&T is offering free calls and texts, while Sprint and T-Mobile will be waiving and crediting fees for all calls and texts to and from Nepal from April 25th through May 16th.
- Time Warner Cable: All calls placed to landline and mobile numbers in Nepal, India and China will be free through May 25th. Time Warner Cable is making this decision retroactive and will credit customers any fees they were charged for calls placed to Nepal since April 25th.