If you own a 32-Bit computer with more then 3 GB of RAM you must be knowing that your operating-system can only make use of roughly 3 GB RAM and rest remains unused because of memory addressing space limitation on 32 Bit systems, today I will be showing how you can make use of this wasted memory improving your computer speed significantly.
The best way to utilize this wasted memory and speed-up your computer is to use it as an RAMDISK, storing frequently accessed temporary files like system pagefile, temp-files and web-browser cache, since I/O operations to RAM is significantly faster then disk you will greatly benefit from using RAMDISK as a temporary file storage.
Follow the simple guide next to create a RAMDISK and use it to store temporary files.
- Download and install free Gavotte Ramdisk Utility.
- Extract the archive and launch ramdisk.exe.
- Click Install Ramdisk button.
- Once installed, configuration options will get enabled select disk-size and drive-letter as per your requirements, now select media-type as Fixed Media and click Apply button, this process will take few seconds to complete and a success confirmation dialog will get displayed.
- You can now click OK and exit the application, the new RAMDISK will be now visible in My Computer.
- The RamDisk can now be used as a regular disk-drive but keep in mind its temporary and any data on it will get lost on power-off, so better use it for temporary storage like pagefile, browser cache and temp file storage.
- To use RAMDISK as pagefile right-click My Computer and navigate to Properties -> Advanced -> Performance - Settings -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory - Change, now select the RAMDISK and set the pagefile.
If the utility fails to recognize full installed RAM capacity, simply enable the PAE mode in BOOT.INI and merge ram4g.reg registry file found in archive followed by an system reboot.