On a newly installed "Windows 7" setup my portable USB hard-disk drive failed to get recognized, the strange part was "Windows 7" was able to recognize the external HDD correctly and notices it when it gets plugged in/out but the drive was not shown under "My Computer" or any other drive display option. To get rid of this problem follow the instructions provided below.
Fixing the Windows 7 non-browsable external disk drive issue :
- Plug in the external USB hard drive and right-click "My Computer" icon and select "Manage" option.
- Now, navigate to "Disk Management" and select the removable disk, right-click this disk and select "Mark Partition as Active".
- Once completed, Left click the drive and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths".
- Click the “Add” button and proceed allocating a drive letter to the removable drive.
- Your removable disk driver should now be visible under "My Computer" ready to start work with.