If you have an older Apple iPod Touch (First Generation) having firmware version 1.x.x upgrading to the latest iPod Touch Firmware 2.x.x requires paying Apple a one time $9.95 fee through the iTunes Store, but here is simple trick to upgrade to the latest available firmware version without paying anything.
Follow the simple steps as follows and upgrade your Apple iPod Touch to the latest operating system without paying.
- Download and install the latest version of iTunes (iTunes 8.1 used for this demo).
- Download and save iPod Touch Firmware .IPSW Restore file - iPod1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw [248 MB], Alternate Torrent Direct Link, VIPeers Link.
- Connect your iPod Touch to computer and launch iTunes, Your firmware version will get displayed in the iTunes windows as shown below.
- Hold down the Shift Key and Click the Restore button in iTunes as shown below.
- Now select the firmware restore file "iPod1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw" downloaded earlier and click open.
- iTunes will start the restore process.
- Do not disconnect while iTunes is restoring your device, once completed iTunes will reboot your device and the new firmware version will be displayed in iTunes.
Restoring your iPod Touch will result in data loss and it is advised to backup your iPod before proceeding.