Apple iPhone Firmware 2.2 is out now and if you ignored the do not upgrade warning for jailbroken iPhones, you must be sitting with a bricked phone by now. Sadly, since iPhone firmware update v 2.2 also updates baseband there is no easy way to restore back to firmware v 2.1, However, one of our reader Keith managed to downgrade his iPhone 3G to version 2.1 after updating to 2.2, He was kind enough to send us the full procedure as follows.
For downgrading iPhone Firmware 2.2 To an earlier version you will need to downgrade the baseband and firmware, for this following software are needed:
- ZiPhone patched by kIREmK (Pls. read this comment).
- PwnageTool 2.2.
- Apple iTunes.
- Firmware IPSW file : 2.1 firmware 3G or 2.1 firmware 2G.
Once you have got all the above softwares, follow the process below:
- Use Ziphone to downgrade the baseband using the settings as shown below.
- Now restore the firmware to an earlier version using the IPSW file via iTunes, if you receive errors during this procedure simply ignore and proceed further.
- Now, use PwnageTool to unlock and jailbreak using the same firmware flash file used to restore in previous step.
- Your iPhone should be jailborken and unlocked now.
This process has not been verified, proceeding with the above steps can permanently damage your device, If you followed the process, kindly post back you results.
You can also try using the iPhone Downgrade Method discussed earlier, just use the 2.1 firmware file now.
Now you can unlock the iPhone 3G, steps here.
Get One-year free subscription to iPhone Life magazine.